Tuesday, August 23, 2011

A Great Start.

I normally have no boundaries when it comes to food. I prefer sandwiches for breakfast and pancakes for dinner. I feel that seared scallops are as fitting for the morning meal as is an omelet, but this morning, I was feeling a little traditionalist. 


I woke up a little early to a crisp, perfectly pre-fall day. I was starving, as I usually am the moment I open my eyes, and was craving something fresh, but comforting. I thought back to the mornings of my childhood, digging through the variety box of Quaker Instant Oatmeal packets hoping to find the last Strawberries and Cream.


Loving the sweet simplicity of fruit and cream, I decided that recreating that childhood favorite was not beyond my reach. This 10 minute breakfast is warm, comforting, sweet and so satisfying! I have a feeling I'll be making variations of it all winter long!



Strawberries & Cream Oatmeal
Serves 2

1 1/2 cups milk
3/4 c. old fashioned oats
1 tsp. vanilla
1 1/2 tbsp. agave nectar
1 tbsp. heavy cream
4 ripe strawberries, plus extra for garnish

1. Bring milk to a boil over medium heat in medium sauce pan. Add vanilla and oats. Cook for about 6 minutes until the oats have absorbed most of the milk. 

2. In the meantime, hull 4 strawberries and slice lengthwise. Once the oatmeal is nearly finished, add the strawberries, agave and heavy cream. Stir to combine. Cook for another 3-4 minutes until the oatmeal is creamy, but not gooey. Be careful to not let it go too far, the oatmeal will thicken slightly upon standing.

3. For the pretty strawberry garnish, make four to five slices through the length of the strawberry, taking care not to cut all the way through. Fan and the slices and Voila!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters... Hop up on your soapbox and give it to me straight!