Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Protein Power

We've all heard that protein is an important piece to the nutritional puzzle. I consider myself to be pretty nutritionally-savvy, but even I was unaware of how much protein each of us should take in daily, and why is really is so important.


Let me shed a little light on the subject...


According to Recommended Dietary Allowances, protein should make up 10-35% of total calories in an adult's diet. Protein contains 4 calories per 1 gram, so an average adult consuming anywhere from 1,200 to 4,000 calories per day would need about 80-100 grams of protein per day. (This of course can fluctuate based upon dietary concerns and lifestyle.)


That's a whole lot of protein! But, after a little research and trial-by-fire, I found that its not so hard. It's important to get your protein from both animal and plant sources, and keeping all protein sources lean or low in fat. 


Why do you need protein? First, its a terrific source of energy that leaves you feeling fuller longer, and won't give you the "crash" that carbs and other sugars will. Secondly, protein is crucial in the development and repair of body tissues (especially important for those who work out regularly). Thirdly, it regulates the body's processes keeping muscles functioning properly and nutrients adequately transported. 


So now that I've given you an impromptu human biology lesson, here are some ways to get the power of protein in your diet.



The Almighty Egg

1. Fry 'em, hard-boil 'em, poach 'em, scramble 'em, put 'em in a quiche... whatever. Just eat 'em! I prefer them hard-boiled, simply because you don't need to add anything else to them, but 1 whole egg will deliver 6 grams of protein. 

Cottage Cheese

2. I'm going to be honest with you. I have to practically choke down cottage cheese. BUT, if you top it with some fresh strawberries and a drizzle of honey, you've got something pretty good on your hands. Cottage cheese is a power player that I try to consume every day (low-fat variety of course), with 38 grams of protein per 1 cup serving! 

                                                                       Tofu

3. This one is a favorite. I happen to love tofu. It's great grilled on a sandwich or cubed on a salad, but one of my favorites is in a fruit smoothie. This is a great option for people who feel about tofu the way I feel about cottage cheese. Just toss some frozen strawberries and bananas in a blender with silken tofu, a splash of OJ and a drizzle of honey. Blend and enjoy! Silken tofu contains 4 grams of protein per serving and only 45 calories! I tend to double up on my servings and make a big smoothie so you get 8 grams of protein, and a super nutritional boost from the fruit.

Soybeans

4. Sticking in the soy family, I bring you soybeans or edamame. You can purchase dry roasted edamame in most food stores, right by the nuts. They are low in fat, low and carbs and high in protein with about 14 grams per serving! 

Turkey

1. Meat in general contains protein, but I choose to highlight turkey because it is nice and lean (and I love a good turkey sandwich). You can use store-bought turkey, but I think a leftover turkey sandwich is way more delicious and doesn't include any preservatives. A 3 oz. serving of turkey contains a whopping 27 grams of protein. If you're feeling jazzy, top it with some cranberry relish and you've not only got protein, but vitamin C, E and K and a heap of fiber. 

To make your own cranberry relish, toss 1 12 oz package fresh or frozen cranberries, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup fresh squeezed OJ, 1 cup sugar and a cinnamon stick in a sauce pot. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes or until cranberries burst. Let cool at room temp and then refrigerate. The relish will thicken as it cools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters... Hop up on your soapbox and give it to me straight!