Monday, July 25, 2011

Tofu??

Yes, tofu can be delicious too!

I had a bad experience with tofu a few years ago - I mistakenly used a pre-flavored variation rather than the tried and true, milky white, delightfully bland variety. BIG mistake.

I recently decided to give tofu another chance, and I have to say, I'm glad I did. I love the texture and consistency of the firm and extra-firm models and because it is so bland, tofu acts like a sponge, absorbing the flavors of whatever you are cooking it in.

Without further ado....

Tofu and Grilled Tomato Salad


Tofu and Grilled Tomato Salad

4 oz. firm tofu, sliced
1 tomato (I used beefsteak, but heirloom would have been magical!), cut into about 4-5 slices
Arugula or arugula blend
Salt & pepper
2 tbsp. olive oil, plus extra for sautéing
1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar
2 tsp. agave nectar
1 tsp. oregano

1. Heat about 1 tbsp. olive oil in non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. Liberally salt and pepper tofu and cook for about 4 minutes on each side or until golden brown.

2. Remove tofu and place on paper towel to absorb excess oil.

3. In the same skilled, cook tomatoes until the edges are a nice dark brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.

4. In the meantime, prepare your salad dressing. Combine 2 tbsp. olive oil, 1 tbsp. balsamic vinegar, 2 tsp. honey, 1 tsp. oregano and salt and pepper to taste. Add more or less agave to suit your taste. I like my balsamic dressing a little on the sweeter side. Honey or good 'ol sugar will do the trick as well. If you use honey, be sure to combine very well.

5. Assemble. Place tomatoes and tofu over arugula and drizzle - or douse -  with dressing.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters... Hop up on your soapbox and give it to me straight!