Thursday, August 18, 2011

Double Beatloaf...

Meatloaf, meatloaf, double beatloaf. I LOVE meatloaf! Well, I love this meatloaf. Growing up, meatloaf was a staple in my family. Everyone loved meatloaf night, that is everyone except for me. Don't get me wrong, my mom is a great cook, but I could never appreciate a loaf of meat. 


Every so often I get the itch to make a meatloaf. My husband loves it and I truly don't like to discriminate against any type of food - especially one so tied to good old fashioned Americana. Well, let me tell you, I finally crafted a meatloaf that I absolutely love. In fact, I'm eating leftovers as I type. My meatloaf is full of vegetable and full of flavor!


Even though its sort of meatloaf tradition, my husband detests the standard ketchup glaze that comes along with most meatloaf. So, I thought outside the box and came up with an incredibly flavorful tomato chutney that really complimented the meat. 


I rounded out the meal with a simple potato hash and VOILA! One of the most delicious comforting meals you could possible imagine!






Recipe Follows....


My Favorite Meatloaf

3 tbsp. olive oil
1 red bell pepper, finely diced
1 orange bell pepper, finely diced
8 oz. mushrooms, diced (I used white button, but whatever you prefer is great)
5 cloves garlic, smashed with salt into a paste
1/2 tsp. red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper
2 large eggs, lightly beaten
1 tbsp. fresh thyme, finely chopped
2 tbsp. Worcestershire
1.5 lbs. meatloaf blend: chuck, pork and veal
1 cup panko breadcrumbs
1/2 cup parmesan cheese
1/2 cup ketchup

1. Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Saute mushrooms, pepper, garlic and red pepper flakes until soft, but not mushy, about 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Set aside and let cool.

2. In a large bowl, lightly whisk together eggs, thyme, Worcestershire, panko, parmesan cheese and ketchup. Add ground meat and cooled vegetables. Mix to combine. Note: use your hands for this. Mix until just combined, don't overmix or squeeze meat too much.

3. Mold meat on a parchment paper-lined sheet pan. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 1/2 hr. up to overnight. You can skip this step, but I find it helps the flavors marry and the loaf keeps its shape a little better. 

4. Preheat over to 425ยบ. Cook meatloaf for 1 hr. 15 mins. Let sit on counter for 10-15 minutes before slicing.




Tomato Chutney

1 pt. grape tomatoes, diced
1/2 shallots, diced
1/4 cup rasins, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
2 tbsp. brown sugar
1/8 cup. white wine vinegar
2 tbsp. Worcestershire

1. Place all ingredient in a sauce pot over medium high heat. Bring to a simmer. Lower heat. Simmer on low for about 30 minutes. Let cool before serving.

Couldn't be easier than that....



Potato Hash

2 small baking potatoes
1 large sweet potato
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. butter
1/8 cup chives, chopped

1. Peel potatoes and cut into medium dice, about the size of well, a dice. Try to keep the size uniform.

2. Heat olive oil and butter in non-stick skillet over medium high heat. Get oil really hot, but not smoking. Add potatoes.

3. Let potatoes brown for about 15 minutes until cooked through. Don't move around too much otherwise they won't brown. But watch the heat, if you see the sweet potatoes start to burn (there's more sugar in these, therefore easier to burn), lower the heat slightly.

3. Once potatoes are cooked through, toss in chives and combine.

ENJOY!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your opinion matters... Hop up on your soapbox and give it to me straight!